Monday, December 20, 2010

First Post!

So, first thing! I'm not expecting anyone to actually read this.

I've been buying and reading an incredible amount of fantasy books lately and I would really like somewhere to write about them; what I thought about them. A blog seamed like the natural solution because heaven knows my boyfriend is sick of hearing about them. I thought it might also be useful for anyone who wanted me to recommend a fantasy book - I can just direct them here!

What this blog is not is a place for book reviews. I have not read enough (especially of the classics) or write well enough to do reviews justice.

To start with, here is a list of my favourite series in preferential order (although many are on the same standing, so it's only semi-preferential). I think many are influenced by how many books are in them/how far along in the series I am ... for instance The Stormlight Archive series has the potential to be the best series I've ever read, but it hasn't gotten to that place after just one book.

1. The Three Worlds series by Ian Irvine (including The View From The Mirror quartet, The Well of Echoes quartet and Song of the Tears trilogy).
2. Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.
3. Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.
4. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. (it has to be in there!)
5. The Earthsea quartet by Ursula Le Guin.
5. Obernewtyn series by Isobelle Carmody. (Unfinished - this bitch needs to hurry up and finish!)
6. Wicked series by Gregory Maguire. (Unfinished)
7. The Demon War series by Peter V. Brett. (Unfinished)
8. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.
9. Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini. (Unfinished)
10. The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. (Unfinished)
11. The Adamantine Palace/The King of the Crags/The Order of the Scales trilogy by Stephen Deas (Unfinished)
12. Graceling and Fire by Kristen Cashore
13. Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix.
14. His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.
15. The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.
16. Twilight quartet by Stephanie Meyer. (I KNOW, OK!)
17. The Left Hand of God trilogy by Paul Hoffman. (Unfinished)
18. A Booke of Days by Stephen J. Rivele. (Not fantasy, but amazing!)
19. The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima. (Unfinished)
20. The Broken Well trilogy by Sam Bowring.

I own all of these books and have read them all in the last three years. It actually makes up most of my collection except for a few others that I didn't particularly enjoy, so they didn't make the list. In fact so far the only fantasy novel I haven't been able to make it to the end with is Spirit Gate by Kate Elliott. Sorry Kate. There are a few others from my childhood which I will buy and reread someday, like the Redwall series!

No comments:

Post a Comment