Friday, August 3, 2012

UPDATE: A Comprehensive Wishlist

As I am lacking the time and resources to be buying my usual weekly haul of books (currently being abroad) I have found myself suffering withdrawals and scrolling longingly through my Book Depository wishlist nightly, each time resisting the urge to buy just one little book. To combat this in my own anally-retentive way, I made a comprehensive wishlist with I will now share with you all to further offset my addiction.

Please note:
1. I already own some of these titles on my Kindle, but it is extremely important for me that I own the physical copy too - weird? - especially the ones that are close to moving from trade paperback to mass market size ... we can't have series comprised of mismatching sizes!
2. This list only includes books that are released or about to be released very soon.
3.They're in no particular order.



Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
With the release of the latter, I am a little tired of not being on the bandwagon - time to get on it!


The Emperor's Knife and Knife Sworn by Mazarkis Williams
Like Lawrence's books, I think it's about time to get into these.

 The Winds of Khalakovo and The Straits of Galahesh by Bradley P. Beaulieu
More hype, another bandwagon.


Embassytown and The Scar by China Mieville
Thought it was time to give Mieville a go and after reading through all the blurbs, these two sounded the most appealing to me. Can someone please tell me the correct way to pronounce him name so I can stop feeling so awkward?


The Warlock's Shadow, The King's Assassin and The Black Mausoleum by Stephen Deas
I really loved the Memory of Flames novels by Deas and so The Black Mausoleum has naturally been on my list for a while - although I refuse to buy it until they release a matching cover. The first two are the last of the trilogy that starts with The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, which is on my shelf waiting to be read.


City of Ruin, The Book of Transformations and The Broken Isles by Mark Charan Newton
Again, I have The Nights of Villjamur on my shelf (unread) so feel obligated to buy the rest. My problem is this series has ten bajillion different cover editions so I'm struggling to find all three to match my book one ...

 
The Heir of Night and The Gathering of the Lost by Helen Lowe
Saw these at the bookstore and thought they looked good.

Theft of Swords, Rise of Empire and Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan
Heard good things about this series, plus I like the covers.


The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan
A prequel to The Black Magician trilogy which I finished reading earlier this year.

The Ambassador's Mission, The Rogue and The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan
A new trilogy following on from The Black Magician trilogy. In the name of duty and loyalty I thought I best get them. Plus, nice covers.

Priestess of the White, Last of the Wilds and Voice of the Gods by Trudi Canavan
Another trilogy by Canavan's I thought I would try.



The Written and Pale Kings by Ben Galley
Let's be honest, I'm getting these for the amazing covers.


Stardust and American Gods by Neil Gaiman
I thought it was time I tried some Neil Gaiman and picked Stardust because I loved the movie and American Gods because it seems the most popular/loved/awarded.


The Stormcaller and The Dusk Watchman by Tom Lloyd
I gradually picked up books two, three and four of this series at bargain bookstores, so now just need book one and five, the latter being a brand new release.


The Dark Divide and Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon
I bought the prequel to The Dark Divide (The Undivided, still unread) last year so need to get this one. Wolfblade is the first book of the trilogy following the one I finished this year - I already have books two and three.


The Killing Moon and The Shadowed Sun by N. K. Jemisin
I have a very strange relationship with N. K. Jemisin. I was undecided on The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, absolutely adored The Broken Kingdoms and thought The Kingdom of Gods was utter trash - so much so that I started coining Jemisinitis as a term for fantasy gone wrong. But I'll give these a go and get back to you.


City of Hope & Despair and City of Light & Shadow by Ian Whates
I've had the first novel in this series, City of Dreams & Nightmare for a while and while I haven't actually read it yet, I'd like to complete the series ... plus they're only $7 each!

 
Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed, Debris by Jo Anderton and Rapture by Lauren Kate
I've been wanting to read the first since it was released, but I refuse to do hardbacks and there is (to my knowledge) no paperback out yet. Enough said. Please no judgement for Rapture ... my friend has been hounding me to read this series for so long and I already have the first three, as yet unread.


Temeraire by Naomi Novik and The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
I love the covers for Novik's series, but I'm not convinced that the story itself is for me, so I'm going to try the first book. As for The Song of Achilles, I went through a phase where I was listening to and loving the soundtrack of the musical Paris, watching Troy and loving all things Achilles/Iliad - and this book sounds great!

2 comments:

  1. Some Great choices Josh! I'm with you on all but the Canavan and Lawrence. I need to bump Tom Llyod up closer to the top of my list, and I'm delighted to tell you that Ben Galley's second novel (which I'm currently reading) is pretty damned fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually going to ask you about Pale Kings, because I saw you were reading it and I think I remember you not liking The Written very much.

      The Black Magician Trilogy wasn't great, but Canavan's books are so cheap online, so I thought I would keep collecting. I'll let you know what I think of Lawrence.

      Delete