Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ten Must Reads for 2012

Considering that I only read seventeen (if lengthy) books this year, picking a top ten to read will likely take up most of the year, considering I will be traveling Europe among other things. Nevertheless, here is my list which includes some that are yet to be released, some that are and some that I even already own but haven't read yet.

1. The Red Queen by Isobelle Carmody
Release: August/September/October 2012
My most hotly anticipated read, this is the final book of the Obernewtyn Chronicles, started in 1987. I've been reading these since I was twelve and in fact just finished book six, The Sending, last night. I've included the cover from the back of my copy of The Sending - I'm confused why there are two versions for each book, given that they're in the exact same style.


2. The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel
Release: Out Now
I spent the better part of this year reading the Earth's Children saga and have yet to read the final book. This is actually because I refuse to buy the hardback copy as I don't do hardbacks - it has to match with the rest of the series! -- I just now found out it was released in November with a new cover to match the previous books, yay!

 


3. The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin
Release: Out Now
The final book in the Inheritance trilogy (not to be confused with Paolini's Inheritance Cycle) these books were very strange yet fresh and surprisingly good. I especially enjoyed book two, The Broken Kingdoms, when I thought I wouldn't, so I'm looking forward to this!

4. The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima
Release: 2 February 2012
The final book in The Seven Realms Trilogy, the previous two books were fast-paced and extremely easy to read - nothing groundbreaking but still quite captivating.






5. Bitterblue by Kristen Cashore
Release: 1 May 2012
I really enjoyed Graceling and Fire which are 'companion' novels to Bitterblue, and so I have been hanging out for it's release. I believe Bitterblue is a kind of sequel to Graceling.





6. The Black Mausoleum by Stephen Deas
Release: 17 May 2012
This is a sequel to the Memory of Flames trilogy, which was a truly ruthless read both in terms of the pace and the plot. The Order of the Scales left a lot of questions unanswered (I gather Deas is a big fan of this) which I am hoping to find answers for. I think/hope they will release a different cover to match more with the Australian Memory of Flames covers.

7. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
Release: 29 December 2011 (8 Days!)
I will pretty much buy and read anything by Sanderson immediately upon its release. After Mistborn and The Way of Kings I have come to the belief that we are in fact the same person in two different bodies - his books appeal to me that much. I'm currently reading Elantris right now.



8. Vengeance by Ian Irvine
Release: Out Now
One of my most favourite authors, this will be the first book of his I have read outside the Three Worlds Cycle so I am really wondering what is in store!





9. The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
Release: Out Now/On My Shelf
I really loved the Nightangel trilogy, so I asked for this book for Christmas last year - and now a year has passed and I still haven't gotten around to it! At this point I might as well wait for any sequels to be released first.




10. The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett
Release: 26 March 2012
Yet another final book being released in 2012, this one to the Demon Cycle. The premise of these books really made them, as well as the strong character development. The struggling and desperate plight of the protagonists reminded me of Ian Irvine's books, one of my favourites! Unfortunately no cover yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment